Keurig. (Photo credit: suendercafe)
I’ve changed the way I eat. Dramatically. Losing weight can be easy, but the biggest challenge for most people is to NOT gain it back. When I was in “weight loss mode”, I had a loose body weight goal, a daily plan, and I kept a food log. Once I got to where I wanted to be, I changed my focus to my fitness and body composition. I ditched the food log, and over the past couple of years, I’ve really dialed in my diet and now have a set of rules I follow (most of the time!) . What have been the biggest changes I’ve made over the past couple of years?
* We don’t eat out much. Not that we did before, but now, we are very selective regarding our splurges. I almost never eat out for lunch. Although, when we go out for dinner, I splurge – I’ll eat french fries, bread, pizza, or anything I want.
* I’m not afraid of fat. Gone are the days of eating a low-fat diet. I buy whole fat salad dressings, I use real pasture butter or ghee, coconut oil, olive oil, etc. I do not buy any fake fats, low-fat or fat-free products. Not only does it taste better, but it is real and not as processed.
* We used to eat pizza (homemade) at least once a week. Now, I hardly ever fix homemade pizza anymore (sadly), unless it’s for the kids.
* I never eat cereal, crackers, chips, etc. . A box of cereal, crackers, chips, etc. goes stale at our house. The kids don’t eat much of that stuff either! I’m also not much of an evening snacker.
* Speaking of kids, I quit eating their leftovers. How many of you nibble off your kids plates? Or, eat whatever is left that they don’t want? Having a daughter that eats like a bird, I frequently would snarf down her leftover peanut butter toast. Ugh. That adds up! No more!
* We used to always have ice cream in the house. Now, it’s only a treat or we go out for it.
* In my chubbier days, I’d regularly “treat” myself to baked goodies whenever I’d stop for a latte. Now, I hardly ever go to Starbucks or local coffee places. Since, I’ve gotten my Keurig, I make my own coffee, which has helped me cut back on sugar and a lot of extra calories. I can’t remember the last time I had a scone or muffin or piece of pumpkin bread.
My food from last night and today, so far:
Wednesday (5/23) - 4:00PM cup of coffee with 1/2 & 1/2. . . I had a headache and I was sleepy. 6:30PM – dinner (not terribly hungry) - salad (mixed greens, pear, walnuts, gorganzola cheese, balsamic dressing), 1 1/4 grass-fed burger, raspberries, 1 piece of dark chocolate. Evening – 1 beer. I ended up skipping my conditioning workout today and swapped days off with Thursday.
Thursday (5/24) – 6:15AM up . . . hot tea and one cup of coffee until about 10AM. 10:00AM – hard conditioning workout with medball throws outside (fun!), then I finished with 10 sprints the length of the back yard at the gym – approx. 50 yards or so. 11:30 – Lunch (very hungry) – 1 leftover grass-fed burger, leftover brussel sprouts w/ bacon, raspberries. Dinner tonight will be eggs, since we’ve got a lot of kid-stuff going on and I won’t be able to cook a real meal.
What else have I had to eat this week? Monday/Tuesday . . . Tuesday/Wednesday